Hizb ut-Tahrir’s Manifesto for the Revolution of Al-Sham: Towards the Birth of a Second Rightly-Guided Khilafah
This is a translated, abridged version of the statement delivered by Engineer Hisham Al-Baba (Head of the Media Office of Hizb ut-Tahrir, Wilayah of Syria), at a press conference held at Hizb ut-Tahrir’s offices in Tripoli, Lebanon on Thursday 28th Ramadan 1433 (16/08/2012).
The revolution of Al-Sham confirmed its Islamic identity when its people declared: ‘It is for the sake of Allah’ and counted their suffering as sacrifice in anticipation of Allah’s (swt) reward; when its women followed the example of Khansaa, one after another; when the banners of al-Uqab were raised; and when the calls demanding Khilafah started to resound.
We in Hizb ut-Tahrir firmly want this revolution to proceed to establish the law (shar’) of its Lord – a rightly-guided Khilafah on the model of prophethood – so fulfilling two of the Bisharat (good news) of the Prophet Muhammad, blessings and peace be upon him and his family, about the last days: One for all Muslims, which is his (saw) saying:
“ثمّ تكونُ خلافةٌ على منهاجِ النبوّة”
“Then it would be Khilafah on the model of prophethood”
and the other is for the people of Al-Sham in particular, which is his (saw) saying:
“ألا إن عقرَ دارِ الإسلامِ بالشام”
“Be aware, the centre abode of Islam is in Sham.”
In this document we present Hizb ut-Tahrir’s main manifesto demands for the new political system after the removal of the regime in Syria and a road map to reach this goal. We are very keen that this revolution be safeguarded from being hijacked by the colonial powers and from being usurped by opportunists who orbit in the sphere of the West, carrying the West’s viewpoint for resolving the crisis.
The manifesto of Hizb ut-Tahrir for the ruling system in Syria is founded on the following tenets:
• The Islamic ‘Aqeedah (doctrine) should be the basis of the State and the basis of the Constitution. The Quran and Sunnah, together with what they referred to – namely Ijmaa’ us-Sahaba (the consensus of the companions) and the Qiyas (divine analogy) should be the source of all of its articles.
• The form of the ruling system in Islam is the system of Khilafah, which is fundamentally different from the forms of ruling systems in place today.
• Its State is neither religious theocratic civil and nor democratic. It is rather a human state, where sovereignty in it is for Shar’, where it applies the provisions of Islam, while the Sultan (authority to elect the ruler) is for the Ummah (nation).
• The security (aman) of Dar al-Islam, which we seek to establish is realized by security provided by the Muslims only; which requires preventing any foreign interference in our country, in compliance with the verse:
(ولن يجعلَ اللهُ للكافرينَ على المؤمنينَ سبيلاً)
“Allah will not allow the disbelievers to have a way ‘authority’ over the believers.”
• The bond that links the citizens of the State is their citizenship. So, all of those who hold the citizenship of the Islamic State (Muslims and non-Muslims) have the full right to enjoy guardianship.
• The articles of the Constitution of the Islamic State are divine provisions, which the State is obliged to apply; and all citizens (Muslims and non-Muslims) must obey them.
• Non-Muslims are left to practice the provisions of their own beliefs, worship, food-stuffs and clothing – beside matters of marriage and divorce, according to their religions, within the general law.
• There is no distinction in the Islamic State in terms of looking after the affairs of the Muslims and non-Muslims; it also deals equally with all races and peoples; so it does not distinguish between the Kurds, Arabs and Turkmen, etc. It rather abides by the verse:
(إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ)
“The best among you in the sight of Allah is the most pious of you.” The State considers any call to racial, tribal or national bonds as tribal and jahili (ignorant) that splits the nation (Ummah) and the State; besides it is a great evil.
• Islam ensures, through its economic policies the satisfaction of the basic needs of food, clothing and housing for each of the State’s citizens, and it enables him or her to satisfy luxuries (beyond the basic needs) as much as he or she could. Islam’s economic rules ensure:
- an inch of land is not left uncultivated;
- gold and silver is the basis of currency, so securing a stable exchange rate for the currency that is reflected in stable commodity prices. These economic rules for currency exchange prevent the Islamic State from falling into crises similar to that which has occurred in the capitalist financial system.
- the establishment of companies, according to the divine rules, and prevented them from monopoly
- the prohibition of usury, selling of debt, selling that which is not owned yet, and fraud.
Overall, this policy works for the distribution of wealth amongst the members of the State.
• The external relations of the State with other states are established in accordance with the provisions of Islam, by carrying the call to them and undertaking jihad for the sake of Allah (fee sabeelillah). The State is committed to the divine injunctions regarding upholding of conventions, peace treaties, ceasefire armistices and diplomatic representation.
In regards to the road map through which we hope to realize the Khilafah State after the overthrow of the regime:
It is based, in its general framework, on the method of the Prophet (peace be upon him) in change; and it can be summarized as follows:
• Muslims in Syria, in general, make known that they want to overthrow the regime and return back to the rule of Allah by establishing the Khilafah … in compliance with the example achieved by the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, where he generated a public opinion for Islam in Madinah, a little before the establishment of the first Islamic State.
• The believers from amongst the people of power (the influential) amongst the officers of the regular army, the dissidents from it and the armed groups, which include the purest of Muslims, have to work for establishing the Islamic Khilafah. They have to work together to prevent the West, its agents and its tools from the local secular politicians, from even approaching authority and decision-making. They have to choose for positions of authority those from the people who are fit for it, who hold the Islamic political project, understand it precisely and in whom there is great hope in their ability to apply it properly, away from allying themselves to opponents, namely the secularists and their masters in the West.
We in Hizb ut-Tahrir announce through this conference that we work with the sincere people of this revolution, and we provide all that we have of potential, capability and competence to achieve all the elements of this plan.
The party, in general, and its branch in Syria, in particular, has pursued the revolution since its inception, day-by-day, even moment-by-moment. So, it issued successive statements and bulletins in parallel with the events of the revolution, to strengthen the rebels, lift their determination and spread awareness among them about the conspiracies plotted against them, reminding them always of the need to link their revolution with a sublime objective, which the opportunists cannot reach.
And we put in the hands of the media people and journalists a dossier, the majority of which has been so far compiled.
– Hizb ut-Tahrir works to contact the various military forces to organize them in one unified work that can destroy this regime from its roots and establish the Islamic rule; hoping this will be soon.
– The Hizb has prepared itself for this great task; it has been its main preoccupation for more than half-a-century, not only in Syria, but in different Muslim countries, indeed the whole world. It gained through this period all the elements of successful leadership that enables it to reach the Ummah to achieve the duty towards Allah in the establishment of His rule and spreading of His message.
– It is worth mentioning in this paper that “Hizb ut-Tahrir” was founded in response to the command of Allah, The Almighty in the verse:
(وَلْتَكُنْ مِنْكُمْ أُمَّةٌ يَدْعُونَ إِلَى الْخَيْرِ وَيَأْمُرُونَ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَيَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ الْمُنْكَرِ وَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ)
“And let arise from amongst you ‘ummatun’ a group (at least one) – who invite to goodness; and enjoin the right and forbid the evil; and indeed those are the successful” and for the resumption of Islamic way of life through the re-establishment of the rightly guided Khilafah, in pursuance of the divine principle “Whatever a duty cannot be performed is itself a duty”.
And we ask Allah, the Almighty to grant these efforts with near success, an immediate victory, and a great joy by the establishment of the Khilafah; and this is not difficult for Him, and it is not slight for the majestic steadfast revolution of Al-Sham. Allah, the Almighty says:
(وَنُرِيدُ أَنْ نَمُنَّ عَلَى الَّذِينَ اسْتُضْعِفُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَنَجْعَلَهُمْ أَئِمَّةً وَنَجْعَلَهُمُ الْوَارِثِينَ)
“And we want to be gracious to those who were oppressed in the land, and make them leaders, and make them inheritors.”
Praise is to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.
Head of the Media Office of Hizb ut-Tahrir – Wilayah of Syria
Engineer: Hisham Al-Baba