London, UK, July 1 2007 – Following recent incidents in London and
Glasgow, Hizb ut-Tahrir Britain issues the following statement:
1. We reiterate our position that Islam does not allow the harming of innocent civilians.
2. Unlike the leaders of the 'war on terror', Islam teaches us to value the lives of all innocent civilians whether in London, Glasgow, Beirut, Baghdad or Kabul.
3. In recent years, Muslims have had far greater experience of being the victims rather than the perpetrators of terror. The deaths of over 80 civilians in Afghanistan in recent days are the latest shocking reminder of this. Despite this, Muslims should never stoop to the level of the adherents of the insidious neocon ideology that has unleashed terror on Iraq and Afghanistan. It is these policies that are the root cause of worsening instability the world over.
4. Despite the intense scrutiny that our community will find itself under after these events, it is imperative that the Muslim community continues to communicate with wisdom its opposition to the ongoing colonialism of western governments and to challenge the 'war on terror' propaganda that demonises the legitimate political aspirations in the Muslim world for the Caliphate. Indeed it is the re-establishment of the Caliphate in the Muslim world that will bring about much needed stability, alleviating the chaos caused by the war on terror.
5. The continued dialectic about moderates and extremists, that tends to label those who criticise Western foreign policy or advocate the political tenets of Islam as extremists, is extremely counterproductive. For our part, we urge the Muslim community to continue an active programme of engagement with wider society to counter these voices.