Poverty: An Alternative Vision
– Almost 1/2 of the world’s population live on less than $2.50 a day.
– One billion of these people are children, of which 22,000 die every day.
– One quarter of the world live in darkness, without electricity – that’s 1.5 billion people
– 805 million people do not have food to eat
– 750 million do not have access to clean water
– Around 9 Million people die of hunger and hunger-related diseases every year
The Qur’anic Vision is the The Islamic System
Allah (swt) says in the Quran:
In order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. [Al-Hashr, 7]
Muhammad ﷺ said:
“There is no right for the son of Adam except in these things: a house in which he lives, a garment to cover his nakedness, a piece of bread and water.”
The Khilafah system will:
1. Tax those with surplus wealth
2. Distributing wealth amongst the needy in society
3. Protect the poor through public expenditure
4. Secure basic necessities for those who require them
Islam really will end world poverty.
We need more Islam not less.