بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم
11th September 2021
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Islam: As-salâm ‘alaykum wa rahmatuAllâhi wa barakâtuhu.
The 11th of September 2021 marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks that sparked the global War on Terror (WoT), which focussed on the invasion and destabilisation of several Muslim countries, most notably Afghanistan, by Western military forces led by the US and her NATO allies.
This murderous military onslaught was accompanied by the demonisation of Islam as a way of life by Western politicians, the ideologues of liberalism and the corporate media, while Muslim communities in the West were portrayed as extremists, terrorists and a security threat. This is why Hizb ut-Tahrir has repeatedly stated over the last 20 years that the War on Terror was in reality a War on Islam! Tony Blair, one of the leading architects on the global WoT, was recently reported to have stated in a speech “…despite the decline in terrorist attacks, Islamism, both the ideology and the violence, is a first-order security threat; and, unchecked, it will come to us, even if centred far from us, as 9/11 demonstrated.”
Having defeated communism in the Cold War with the disintegration of the Soviet Union, the US and her European allies, drunk on their arrogant belief that capitalism and liberal democracy were universally sought after by humanity, embarked upon a third crusade of the Muslim world under the guise of the War on Terror in order to reshape the Middle East in their own image. Using both hard and soft power, the US and her allies sought to reshape the political landscape of the Middle East through the replacement of the post Sykes-Picot dictatorial regimes with liberal democracies. However, as the world witnessed during the Arab Spring, the Muslims masses of the Middle East did not turn to capitalism and liberalism when given a semblance of political freedom, but rather turned to Islam and sought Islamic governance as observed in Egypt and Syria! The world has witnessed that the Muslims have rejected capitalism and liberalism and have held on to Islam despite the murderous violence and intimidation by the West and its agents in the region.
After 20 years of endless war, intimidation and interference in the political affairs of the Muslims, and at a cost of $2 trillion and hundreds of thousands of Muslim civilian lives, by the grace of Almighty Allah ﷻ, the 20th anniversary of the War on Terror has been dominated by the historic defeat and humiliating retreat of the US military, her NATO allies and their network of Afghan informants, spies and collaborators that supported the brutal and murderous occupation over the last 20 years. By the grace of Allah ﷻ the occupation of Afghanistan has ended and a new opportunity awaits the Muslims of Afghanistan and the region to forge security and prosperity under Islam following the military victory of the Taliban.
Allah ﷻ states in Surah Muhammad:
يٰٓاَيُّهَا الَّذِيْنَ اٰمَنُوْٓا اِنْ تَنْصُرُوا اللّٰهَ يَنْصُرْكُمْ وَيُثَبِّتْ اَقْدَامَكُمْ
وَالَّذِيْنَ كَفَرُوْا فَتَعْسًا لَّهُمْ وَاَضَلَّ اَعْمَالَهُمْ
ذٰلِكَ بِاَنَّهُمْ كَرِهُوْا مَآ اَنْزَلَ اللّٰهُ فَاَحْبَطَ اَعْمَالَهُمْ
“Oh believers! If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you and make your foothold firm. But those who are disbelievers will have utter ruin and He will make their actions go astray. That is because they hate what Allah has sent down, so He has made their actions come to nothing.” [Muhammad: 7-9]
We, your brothers in Hizb ut-Tahrir, would like to share our thoughts with you on the lessons we as Muslims should take from this period of history.
- Victory is truly from Allah ﷻ, the Lord of the Worlds! We have witnessed the military defeat of the world’s mightiest military and its allies by a small group of brave and committed Muslims, the Taliban, while numerous Muslim governments with large military forces and even nuclear weapons do not lift a finger to protect oppressed Muslims as we have witnessed repeatedly in Palestine, Syria and Myanmar!
- The War on Terror could not have taken place or lasted as along as it has without the betrayal of the Ummah by the Muslim rulers. In order to protect their false authority, the Muslim rulers have repeatedly supported Western military interventions in the Muslim lands through the provision of logistical, financial and intelligence support. The occupation of Afghanistan by the US was only made possible by the betrayal of the Ummah by successive Pakistani governments with the provision of military bases, fuel and both ground and air supply lines to the US military. Indeed, it is well documented in political writings that ex-President Musharraf placed “the keys of Pakistan” into the hands of the Americans! Pakistan even fought her own people in Waziristan who supported the resistance against the US occupation! Similarly, the US occupation of Iraq was about to collapse without the intervention of Iran. In Syria her secret support for the Assad regime required the intervention of Turkey in order to prevent an Islamic victory and takeover!
- Western nations cannot be trusted and should not be engaged in our political, economic and security affairs. As we recently witnessed in Afghanistan, the US retreated overnight and abandoned her Afghan allies without any warning! This is the characteristic behaviour of all Western nations and shows that they have no concern for the welfare of Muslims, but are solely focussed on their own geopolitical interests! Numerous aid agencies are now reported to be withholding funds and vital supplies from the Afghan people following the Taliban’s victory proving that their previous support was not for the welfare of the people, but a ploy to create dependency and support for the occupation!
- Muslims globally must support the formation of a truly independent Islamic Afghanistan. Following its victory over the US and NATO, the Taliban face significant challenges in establishing Islamic governance in Afghanistan. The Muslims globally must take the opportunity that has arisen to boldly work for the establishment of Islamic governance and the comprehensive implementation of the Shariah of Allah ﷻ in Afghanistan, with a view to spread this new authority beyond the false borders, imposed by the Western imperialists to ‘divide and rule’, and unify the Muslims in the region under the banner of the Khilafah Rashidah. The Khilafah is the only political system revealed by Allah ﷻ and is a Shariah obligation that numerous other obligations depend upon. The complete establishment of the Shariah cannot take place without the establishment of the Khilafah. Now is the time to set aside the differences in schools of thought and to focus the energies of the Ummah upon this issue which Islam itself made a vital issue! Our Master RasulAllah ﷺ said:
كَانَتْ بَنُو إِسْرَائِيلَ تَسُوسُهُمُ الأَنْبِيَاءُ كُلَّمَا هَلَكَ نَبِيٌّ خَلَفَهُ نَبِيٌّ وَإِنَّهُ لاَ نَبِيَّ بَعْدِي وَسَتَكُونُ خُلَفَاءُ فَتَكْثُرُ ” . قَالُوا فَمَا تَأْمُرُنَا قَالَ ” فُوا بِبَيْعَةِ الأَوَّلِ فَالأَوَّلِ وَأَعْطُوهُمْ حَقَّهُمْ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ سَائِلُهُمْ عَمَّا اسْتَرْعَاهُمْ
“The tribes of Israa’il were ruled by the Prophets, every time a Prophet deceased he was followed by another Prophet, and there will be no Prophets after me, and there will be Khulafaa (successors) and they will be many.” The companions then asked “What do you order us?” To which the Prophet replied “Fulfil your bay’ah (pledge of allegiance) to them one after another, and give them their rights, and truly Allah will ask them about their responsibilities” (Bukhari / Muslim)
And he ﷺ said:
مَنْ خَلَعَ يَدًا مِنْ طَاعَةٍ لَقِيَ اللَّهَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَلَا حُجَّةَ لَهُ. وَمَنْ مَاتَ وَلَيْسَ فِي عُنُقِهِ بَيْعَةٌ مَاتَ مِيتَةً جَاهِلِيَّةً
“Whoever removes his hand from obedience (to the ruler) will meet Allah with no proof for himself, and whoever dies without the bay’ah (pledge of allegiance to the ruler) upon his neck dies a death of jahiliyya (ignorance)” (Muslim)
Both ahadith refer to the bayah of obedience to the legitimate leader of the Muslims (the Khalifah) which Islam defines as the man that is given authority by Muslims to rule and who implements the Shariah of Allah ﷻ comprehensively upon the land.
Therefore, it is not Islamically permissible to call for a republican state on the model of secularist Turkey, Pakistan or Tunisia or for a dictatorship like the usurping rule of the House of Saud and the House of Assad etc. Furthermore, in reality all of these artificial states are failed states despite the illusionary appearance of modest material progress. Both Pakistan’s and Turkey’s economies are in tatters and deeply indebted to international donors. Saudi Arabia has squandered trillions of dollars of petrochemical wealth without establishing a viable industrialised economy or any notable innovation. Rather, the only way to make true progress is through the political and economic systems of Islam which has a 1300 year plus track record of success.
- A genuine Islamic State will offer humanity an alternative to the slavery and failure of capitalism. The Western nations and their liberal way of life are not a model for humanity or Muslims to follow. In just a few decades under the dominance of global capitalism, we have seen tremendous economic disparity across the world with millions living in poverty even within the leading economies. Children in the US and Britain remain hungry and undernourished not to mention in the poorer nations. Western society is riddled with economic crises, racism, social division and depravity, while women feel unsafe on the streets and even in their homes. Furthermore, under capitalism, the Earth is suffering from a climate crisis and environmental degradation due to over production. Islam once it returns as a way of life on the international stage will demonstrate a different way of running the economy and organising society based upon the wisdom of the Creator of the universe rather than the limited genius of man.
In summary, we, your brothers in Hizb ut-Tahrir call upon you to support the call for the full implementation of Islam in Afghanistan and we are at your service in elaborating upon the discussion above through mutual discussions.
Lastly, as Muslims living in the West, we too have a duty to discuss the greatness of Islam as a way of life both within our own communities, in order to give our youngsters confidence in Islam amidst the perpetual Western intellectual attack, and also the wider society who must be shown the truth of the matter.
Wassalâmu ‘alaykum wa rahmatuAllâhi wa barakâtuhu
Your brothers in Hizb ut-Tahrir – South London