Members of Hizb ut-Tahrir Britain on 14th December 2018, held a roundtable discussion titled “Bangladesh National Election 2018: Has the Secular-Democratic Model Failed?” The discussion was attended by various community leaders, thinkers, politicians, professionals, ulema and businessmen. The keynote speech was delivered by Hizb ut-Tahrir member, Dilwar Miah.
In his speech, Dilwar Miah argued the so-called democratic model has failed to bring justice to the people of Bangladesh, where the people live in constant fear due to the absence of law and order, where anyone who opposes the government is harassed, imprisoned or kidnapped. Even school children demanding the right to be safe on the road is violently crushed, as recently witnessed.
The so-called democratic model has failed to look after the affairs of the people by providing the basic needs of the people. Millions of people are still living in poverty, struggling to feed themselves nor having a roof over their heads, and unable to buy basic essential foods due to the constant price-hikes, despite the ruling class getting richer every day.
The so-called democratic model has failed to protect our vital resources, infrastructure and institutions from exploitation by foreign powers. The Awami League government has granted India transit route through Bangladesh as well as access to Mongla & Chittagong ports. They have also made our army subservient to India and the US by holding regular drill exercises, which inevitably will allow these foreign powers to learn about our strategic capabilities. Furthermore, the Awami League government has granted access to our vital resources, such as oil & gas, to foreign corporations, which will only be exploited by few individuals to get richer.
Dilwar Miah then presented the Khilafah system as an alternative to the failed democratic model. He argued that the Khilafah system is not only better than the democratic system but it is also one that has been obligated by Islam for the Muslims to establish and live by. He outlined that under the Khilafah State:
- The Islamic rule (Khilafah state) will put an end to the current tyrannical rule and ensure rule of justice.
- Regardless of their religion and race the Khalifah will ensure the basic rights of all citizens such as food-clothing-shelter, education-health and security; and ensure the distribution of wealth.
- Khilafah will utilize the country’s resources properly and a vision and a plan will be formulated to transform the nation into a powerful, self-sufficient state.
- Khilafah will establish war based heavy industries and it will be done to ensure that the country’s military is equipped with advanced weaponry free from the dependency on the USA, China, India and Russia.
- Khilafah will unify the Muslim lands to bring together our people, resources and militaries, and as a result this State will become a formidable power.
- The Khilafah will challenge the imperialists in regional and international politics, especially USA-Britain, who are conducting a war against Islam.
Dilwar Miah ended his speech by thanking all the participants and urging them to join the work in re-establishing the Khilafah Rashidah once again.