Jakarta, 01 October 2009/12 Shawal 1430H
A 7.6 richter-scale earthquake shook the region of West Sumatra, Wednesday, September 30 2009, yesterday.
As a result of the quake, hundreds of buildings were destroyed, hundreds of people declared dead and injured, while hundreds more are still buried in the ruins and rubble.
While there are still no official figures on how many victims and losses are caused by this disaster, but it is expected to increase along with the continuing evacuation efforts. Regardless of the losses and casualties, this calamity would certainly cause new suffering in the midst of problems and difficulties experienced by people living in the areas of West Sumatra, especially in the city of Padang and the surrounding areas.
With regard to this tragedy, Hizb ut-Tahrir Indonesia expresses the following points:
1. We express condolence and deep concern over this catastrophe. Even though this tragedy will add misery to the people, especially the poor living in the areas of West Sumatra, we should handle it with patience and are pleased with the qadha of Allah (swt). Only in that way, can we face this calamity with peace to avoid creating new problems.
2. It is important for us to learn a lesson, that no matter how great human beings are, they remain weak. Therefore there is no place for disobedience against Allah (swt), the One who creates the universe, mankind and life. The more disasters we experience, the more obedient we should become to Him by implementing His Sharia, leaving all things which are prohibited and doing all things which are permitted. Rejection of the Islamic Law by ignoring in various aspects of life (economic life, pornographic culture, corruption, etc.) is proof of an ungodly attitude.
3. We call on the government to conduct immediate efforts to help the victims and provide the necessary logistics supports, including doing a thorough review of the existing constructions so that the similar disaster will not affect soo much in the future.
4. We call on the Muslims to give any assistance they can provide. Islam recommends that Muslims really care about the suffering of their brothers and sisters and prohibits not doing anything. Therefore, Hizb ut-Tahrir Indonesia has opened health centres caring for the rescue of the West Sumatra earthquake victims, distribution of relief, mental recovery and medical assistance, through the following health centers:
(a) Jakarta: Hizb ut-Tahrir Indonesia Head Office, Crowne Palace A25, 231 Jalan Prof. Soepomo South Jakarta, Phone +62-02183787370 and +62-02183787372, Contact person Abdullah Fanani, Cell Phone 08158366436;
(b) Padang: Local Representative Office of HTI West Sumatera, Jalan Helmeted III/07, Gems White, Padang, West Sumatra. Contact person Rozi Saferi, HP +62081374529543.
(c) Pekanbaru: Local Representative of HTI Riau, Attamam Islamic Boarding School, Jalan Karya I , Marpoyan Selatan Gedung Pasca Sarjana UIR, contact person Mohammed Ihsan, Cellphone +62081365609191 and +62081993040530.
Funds can also be channeled to the Account of Hizb ut-Tahrir Indonesia in Bank Syariah Mandiri with Account Number 0160233681 and BNI Syariah with Account Number 0177325530.
5. Hopefully, the disaster can remove the sin of the victims, raise them to the degree of martyrs and can give lessons for all of us about submission and obedience to Allah (swt)- the One who creates the universe – either in private life, in family and community life or in the nation’s life.
Spokesman of Hizb ut-Tahrir Indonesia
Muhammad Ismail Yusanto