London, UK, September 27 – In a show of unprecedented unity, over 150 Islamic and community based organisations and individuals have added their name to a statement issued last month in response to the Government's latest anti-terror proposals.
The original 38 signatories have now been joined by numerous community based groups and individuals including a number of Councillors reflecting the mood of the Muslim community at grassroots level. It is a clear signal to Tony Blair from the Muslim community that, irrespective of their various nationalities or political beliefs, they stand united against his draconian proposals.
The massive number of signatories is evidence of the fact that Tony Blair's 'consultation' with the community is virtually non-existent.
Dr Imran Waheed, a media representative of Hizb ut-Tahrir Britain, said, "This unprecedented statement has been signed by the largest Muslim organisations in Britain representing different views from across the political spectrum and from across the schools of Islamic thought, jurisprudence and tradition. It sends a strong message that the Muslim community stands united against draconian proposals that aim to curtail legitimate political expression."
In brief, the six points of the statement are:
- The term extremism has no tangible legal meaning or definition and is therefore unhelpful and emotive.
- The right of people anywhere in the world to resist invasion and occupation is legitimate.
- Questioning the legitimacy of Israeli occupation is legitimate political expression.
- The proposal to ban the non-violent organisation Hizb ut-Tahrir is unwarranted, unjust and unwise.
- Arbitrary closure of mosques may prevent legitimate political discourse in mosques fuelling a radical sub-culture.
- Deporting foreign nationals to countries known for gross human rights abuses is abhorrent.
Notes to Editors
Signatories of the statement include the Islamic Human Rights Commission, Muslim Association of Britain, FOSIS, Ramadhan Foundation, Centre for Muslim Affairs, 1990 Trust, Crescent International, Forum Against Islamophobia and Racism, Islamic Party of Britain, Muslim Directory, Stop Political Terror, UK Islam Mission, World Muslim Congress, Q News magazine, An-Nisa Society, Hizb ut-Tahrir Britain, Yvonne Ridley and Islam Channel, Shaikh Haitham Haddad, and Islamic Forum Europe amongst others.