On May, 12th, 2009, at a briefing for journalists, the spokeswoman for the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), Marina Ostapenko, has declared that after the special operation conducted by security service of Ukraine, an attempt by foreign citizens to form for the first time on Ukrainian soil a branch of Hizb ut-Tahrir, an international terrorist group, which is banned in 29 countries of the world, had been prevented.
According to the spokeswoman for the SBU, Marina Ostapenko, documents were obtained proving that “a criminal group secretively tried to create a very hierarchical terrorist structure with clear division of functions”.
She said there were nine people among the group members who had been specially trained for sabotage in various Middle East camps. For their future illegal activities, they managed to “engage Ukrainian citizens who adopted Islam. The main aims of the group were to recruit new members for the radical Islamic organization, spread propaganda for Hizb ut-Tahrir, and train potential terrorists”, Ostapenko said.
Alleged propagandist leaflets were confiscated and legal action will be taken against the suspects if the material is found to break Ukrainian law.
An official notice has been sent to the group leader and its other members have been denied entry to Ukraine.
In this connection, «Hizb ut-Tahrir» in Ukraine declares:
• Islamic political party «Hizb ut-Tahrir» carries on its ideological and political activities since 1953 and has never been involved in violence to achieve its aims that is declared repeatedly all over the world, including Ukraine too.
• « Hizb ut-Tahrir is a political party whose ideology is Islam, so politics is its work. Islamic political party Hizb ut-Tahrir functions in many countries of the world.
• The aim of Hizb ut-Tahrir is to resume the Islamic way of life by establishing the Islamic State the Khilafah which will rule by laws of Islam and convey the Islamic da’wah to the world for all mankind.
• The method adopted by Hizb ut-Tahrir is ideological and political struggle, that is derived from a method of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him). The establishment of the Islamic state through violence is not accepted and that is a fact of common knowledge.
• Islamic political party Hizb ut-Tahrir carries on activities to re-establish the Islamic state in suitable Muslim countries. In other Muslim and non- Muslim countries, only ideological and educational activities are carried out.
• Hizb ut-Tahrir represents Islam as ideology alternative to capitalism. To achieve the purpose the Islamic party enters the ideological debate with politicians, thinkers and other social classes so that the true of Islamic ideology become obvious to mankind.
Hizb ut-Tahrir in Ukraine declares that «an attempt by foreign citizens to form for the first time on Ukrainian soil a branch of terrorist group Hizb ut-Tahrir», is basically could not be and does not represent the facts, as party Hizb ut-Tahrir is not terrorist and already active in Ukraine for more than 10 years. Lately nobody of members of Hizb ut- Tahrir, as has declared the spokeswoman for the SBU, has received an official notice and no one has been deported from Ukraine.
The activities of the Islamic party Hizb ut-Tahrir in Ukraine are public, but not «deeply secretive». That was declared time and again by officials of Ukraine. For example:
«… Today, according to Crimean law-enforcement authorities, number of members of Hizb ut-Tahrir and sympathising its ideas makes 7-10 thousand persons …
In Committee on affairs of religions number of members of Hizb ut-Tahrir in Crimea is estimated modestly — 5-6 thousand persons. At the same time they admit that number of supporters of this party on peninsula grows, almost in a geometrical progression. "Every year it covers more and more regions ", — the vice-president of committee Ayder Bulatov has told to "Sobytiya" ».
(A weekly journal of " Sobytiya " №11 (113) from 21.03.2008 years).
As to "the hackneyed" statement about a ban of Hizb ut-Tahrir in 29 countries it is necessary to notice that the party is officially banned only in the several countries with government by fiat where any oppositional organisations to a ruling regime are pursued. But in the majority of the Muslim countries and as in Europe and the USA, Hizb ut-Tahrir is not defined as the terrorist organisation and it is not banned. Moreover, in a number of the Muslim countries Islamic political party Hizb ut -Tahrir is officially registered, and has the official representatives. Party activity is carried out worldwide. Conferences at the international level are carried out. As an example:
• Indonesia International Khilafah Conference at Olympic stadium in Djakarta with some 80,000-100,000 people attending.
• A global economic conference hold in Khartoum, Sudan, on January, 3rd, 2009, on the theme «Towards a Tranquil Safe World under the Shade of the Economic System of Islam»
• Two press conferences of Hizb ut-Tahrir in London and in Beirut, held on April 3rd, 2009, the next day after summit of G20 in London, where the new book «Towards a Tranquil Safe World under the Shade of the Economic System of Islam» has been represented. And set of other public actions and activities carried out by Hizb ut-Tahrir worldwide.
Official representatives give interviews; participate in debates on such well-known world television channels as BBC, CNN, 4Channel, Al-Jazeera, Islamic Channel, Press TV.
It is enough to understand absurdity of the statement of the spokeswoman for the Security Service of Ukraine, from the maintenance of which following conclusions arise: or Security Service has turned to the office serving corporate interests, or Ukraine is on a way to totalitarianism. Whether Ukraine is ready to range with Uzbekistan where the most despotic methods of struggling against the dissidence applied and carried out by hands of the Andizhan executioner – president I.Karimov have not stopped activity of Hizb ut-Tahrir and have made Karimovs regime a social cull of the world community?
It obscure why Security Service makes the statement contradicting the obvious facts and completely constructed on pseudo-event, that has no connection to reality. But for certain it is possible to confirm that such irresponsible statements from government officials hardly promote strengthening of safety of the country, and on the contrary, create instability, generate dread in a society and allow the third forces to use these factors in their dirty politic tricks