A Message for Muslims in Britain
Muslims across the world have been overjoyed to see their brothers and sisters in Egypt and Tunisia rising up to overthrow the corrupt, oppressive, western-backed regimes of Hosni Mubarak, Zine al Abedine Ben Ali and others. We would like to make the following points regarding these momentous events:
• We have all witnessed that change is possible and the Islamic necessity to take a stand against the zalim ruler. The people in Tunisia and Egypt have shown the world that changing these corrupt rulers is possible.
• At the same time, western politicians and media have been agitated by seeing the anti-western feeling on the Arab streets. For decades now Mubarak, Ben Ali and the other dictators in the Arab world have done nothing other than serve the interests of America, Britain, France and Israel whilst people have been living a life of hopelessness, unemployment, poverty and oppression.
• Throughout the past 2-3 weeks western politicians and commentators have made it abundantly clear that an Islamic state is not an acceptable option to these dictators. They have no problems with elections, but only if the outcome is a secular nation state that continues to serve American and Western interests in our lands.
• They have promoted secular figures as ‘leading opposition leaders’, who for decades have not tasted the hardship of living under these regimes. They have promoted alternative figures from the regime, like Omar Suleiman, Mubarak’s chief of intelligence, who is deeply implicated in torture and rendition.
• The media have repeatedly used negative, ‘scary’ phrases like ‘Islamists filling the vacuum’ and ‘extremists exploiting the opportunity’ to make it clear that what is unacceptable to them is an Islamic state: i.e. a Khilafah, which would rule by the Quran and Sunnah, which would liberate Palestine and which would pursue a policy independent to the western colonialists.
• Many so-called ‘Islamic leaders’ and activists have fallen prey to this bullying agenda. One or two, have openly said they don’t want an Islamic state, they want ‘freedom’! Or that there did not need to be bans on alcohol, or modest Islamic dress on the beaches! Or that it was preferred to remain divided as Egyptians or Tunisians rather than have unity.
• This agenda to demonize Islam’s political rules is one we have seen repeatedly over the past 10 years. The attacks on the public symbols of Islam like hijab and niqab; or the core beliefs like the sanctity of the Quran and Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wasallam); or on Shariah and Jihad – all are because these things are manifestations of aspects of Islam which cross over from the personal aspects into the political arena of life.
• The Islamic State – the Khilafah – the Islamic system of governance is the most central aspect of this, which is why it is demonized. It is a core part of our deen. It is the means of unity of our Ummah, which would abolish divisions between Egypt, Gaza and Sudan etc. It is the shield for Ummah that protects her.
• It is the Khilafah that would end western occupation and rid their hold on the resources of Muslim lands; and that is why they attack it – and anything that links to Islam’s political aspect.
• Khilafah is the only means to guarantee just accountable government in the Muslim world; where rulers can be elected and strongly accounted; with an independent judiciary and independent media; where women are elevated in their status as mothers, wives and sisters; where the white man has no superiority over a black man; where the rich and poor are equal in front of the law and the state is obliged to provide food, clothing and shelter for every citizen, Muslim or non-Muslim. It is the only means for this Ummah to once again be a leading light in the world with the high moral and spiritual values of Islam
Dear brothers and sisters!
• Speak out against the demonization of Islam and Khilafah.
• These Arab uprisings, which have accounted and removed unwanted agent-rulers, are indeed wonderful. But there can be no real change without Khilafah. And it is the responsibility of every one of us to argue for this noble cause.
• We call upon you to rise to the challenge at this momentous and historic point in time to call for REAL CHANGE – Call for the Khilafah!
O Believers! If you help in the Cause of Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm.
[Surah Muhammad 47: 7]
28 Safar 1432 / 2nd February 2011