Muslims in Libya, like those in Egypt, Tunisia, Syria, Bahrain, Yemen, Algeria and Saudi Arabia, have responded to the Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alaihi wasallam) who said “The best Jihad is to speak the word of truth against the tyrant ruler”. What we have witnessed in the past few weeks has been the beginning of the end of these tyrant regimes. In the context of calls for Western intervention we would like to make the following points:
1. We, like the Muslims of Libya, want to see the end of Gaddafi’s regime and an end to his murder.
2. However, we strongly oppose the British, French and American intervention in the Muslim lands. These countries are the very colonial powers that backed these tyrants for decades to secure their interests in our lands. These regimes were designed in London, Paris and Washington. It is the Western powers who gave them legitimacy and sold them the munitions which they now use against the people. The humanitarian justifications for intervention are no more than a smokescreen to hide their ugly material interests. It would be a betrayal of the blood that has been spilt by those who have been martyred in these revolutions if they are hijacked and the outcome is the maintenance of the same colonial order maintaining Western hegemony in the Arab world.
3. This latest military adventure in Libya in the name of ‘liberating’ the Libyan people from the murderer Gaddafi needs to be seen in its true colonial context – to try to ensure that whoever takes over Libya will see that Libya continues to remain under Western colonial influence. No amount of talk of humanitarian values and freedom, UN resolutions and a coalition including the despots of the Arab League will erase the memories of the atrocities committed by these powers in Iraq and Afghanistan.
4. The problems of the Muslim world need to be solved by the Muslims. We have allowed others to interfere in our affairs for too long. We call upon the Muslim armed forces in the region to take up their obligation and liberate the people from Gaddafi and his cronies. With a force of over 450,000 the Egyptian army is more than capable of ending Gaddafi’s murder and mayhem. If the Saudi army can enter Bahrain to protect the tyrant there, why isn’t it able to come to the rescue of the people of Libya? If the despots of the Arab League can come to a resolution of a no-fly zone why are they not able to release their armies to enter Libya? Why have they invited in the very same forces that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in Iraq?
5. The real issue for Muslims is the removal of these incompetent puppet rulers and their regimes and to replace them with a sincere accountable Islamic leadership that will have the backbone to solve the problems of the Muslim world without the need for America, Britain or any other Western power.
6. We call upon all Muslims who have been inspired by the extraordinary courage and determination of the people in these revolutions to work for real change which can only come by the re-establishment of an Islamic Khilafah State – a state that will unify the Muslim world, will have an accountable leader that will end torture and repression of its critics, will return the natural resources in our lands into public hands and will ensure the rights of minorities and women as enshrined in the Islamic Shariah. This is the State that will realise the aspirations of the people and free the region from tyranny and colonialism.
14 Rabi II 1432
19 March 2011